Before you choose something to give up for Lent, ask yourself a couple of questions:
- What habits do I engage in that are destructive to my spiritual health?
- To what material things am I too attached?
- What areas in my life are unbalanced?
- To what do I devote too much or not enough time?
After asking yourself questions like these you are ready to decide what to give up or what to add to your life during Lent. Look over this list for some ideas to aid you in your spiritual growth.
- Give up candy/sweets.
- Give up television time.
- Give up eating snacks between meals.
- Give up or limit soda or coffee.
- Give up or limit video games.
- Spend more time with family.
- Give to the poor.
- Do an extra chore each day.
- Perform a random act of kindness.
- Spend more time in prayer.